Thursday, September 28, 2017

Thankful Thursday ~ Coffee Cup

I'm a morning person.  I love a quiet house and time to myself to read and write.

But coffee.

Coffee is not an option.

I wrote an ode about coffee, so strong are my affections for the bittersweet beverage.  It's posted over on Today's Little Ditty.  The March 2017 padlet is full of other odes, which I presume are all about things people are thankful for.

Not me.
I drink my coffee
bleary-eyed in bed
or on my couch.
In ugly pajamas.

Ode to My Coffee Cup
In half-light, readied, steaming, pink perfect cup,
I held you, warming my palms, a balm.
Relaxed morning sighs brought your waking scent;
then first soft sip, familiar to my ears--
our ritual ending in my bittersweet waking.
Why now, Coffee Cup, are you empty?  Coffee Cup,
It's because I am greedy and day is dawned;
it's time to get up.
 ©2017 Rebekah Hoeft 2017

Helen Frost challenged the Today's Little Ditty readers to write an ode using a form she described.  You should go check out the interview and poetry form.  It was a fun one to write.









No comments:

Post a Comment

#50PreciousWords 2023 with Vivian Kirkfield

Vivian Kirkfield is hosting her annual writing contest.  The challenge is to write a story for children in 50 words or less.  Head over to h...