Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Writer Wednesday ~ Terse Verse Expanded Form


Yesterday, I shared information about a short poetry form called the terse verse (also known as a hinky pinky or higgly piggly)

To sum up:

The title is a question or statement.

The poem is two words that rhyme that answer the question or describe the title.

Yup.  That’s it.

I wrote the example:

What You Call a Dog Who’s Eaten Too Much

Hoggy doggy.

I like this form.

I really do.

Short and sweet.

Simple.  

Everything I’m not.

Which means that  of course I can’t just leave it at that.

So instead of one terse verse, I like to write a string of them to tell a story.

Because words.
And story.

I like to call this brand-spanking new form of the terse verse a:

Wait for it.

You’ll love it.

Probably not.  The name I mean.  The form is fine.  It’s just cheesy.  The name.  Not the form.  Let’s be clear here, folks.

And it’s probably not brand new because there is nothing new under the sun but I couldn’t find anyone writing strings of terse verses so I’m pressing on with my new-to-maybe-just-me form of poetry.  My apologies to someone who’s already invented/created/discovered the joy that is the:

HALE TALE TERSE VERSE.

I know.  I’m sorry.  Hale can mean hearty or robust which is kinda the opposite of terse and I’m telling a more robust story with my string of little poems and obviously I had to rhyme.

#rhymingislife #iloverhymes #nosuchthingastoomanyrhymes #alsoimnotopposedtoalittlecheese
#mmm #cheese  #hungry

Rules of the Hale Tale Terse Verse
Suggestions, really.  Take them as you wish and do what you may.
  • Create a short story using two or more terse verses.  (Terse verse? Terse versi?  Arg.  Plurals hard.)
  • Titles of each individual terse verse may be as long or short as you’d like but should only be one sentence.  Run-ons acceptable.
  • Each individual terse verse still needs to have only two words in it
  • You may choose whether to give the group of terse verses another main title.
  • You may choose to capitalize both words of each terse verse or just the first or not at all.

In The Doghouse
created at canva.comWhat You Call The Puppy Who Looks At You Beseechingly Whilst You Eat A Slice Of Yummy Cake
Mooch pooch.

What You Call The Pooch Standing Nonchalantly On The Counter When You Come Inside From Playing A Super Fun Game Of Hide-N-Seek With Your Friends
Up pup.

What You Call The Mutt Who Ate Almost An Entire Cake Whilst Standing On The Counter Whilst You Played A Super Fun But Ill-advised And Regrettably Long Game Of Hide-N-Seek
Hog dog.

What You Call The Hound Who Also Ate Mom's Favorite Pair Of Slippers Presumably Whilst Pondering How To Conquer The Counter For Cake Whilst You Played An Actually Kinda Boring Game Of Hide-N-Seek.
Slipper nipper.

What You’re In When Mom Finds Out That She Will Not Get To Enjoy A Slice Of Mrs. Keller’s Cake Whilst Wearing Favorite Slippers Because Young Man You Forgot To Kennel The Canine Before Going Outside To Play A Not To Be Repeated For A Week ‘Cause You’re Grounded Game Of Hide-N-Seek Plus Guess Who Gets To Clean Up When He Gets Sick From Eating Almost An Entire Cake
Double trouble.

What Kind Of Dog You Have When You’re Sad And Grounded And Mom’s Still A Little Mad Even Though She Says She Forgives You
Hug pug.

Written by: Rebekah Hoeft ~ ©2017


Please follow the Creative Commons copyright rules for content on this page. Thank you!
Attribution-ShareAlike
CC BY-SA

No comments:

Post a Comment

#50PreciousWords 2023 with Vivian Kirkfield

Vivian Kirkfield is hosting her annual writing contest.  The challenge is to write a story for children in 50 words or less.  Head over to h...