Sunday, February 11, 2018

Not an Epitaph (or, The Dog Ate It)

Michelle at TLD had a great interview last week with Jane Yolen and J. Patrick Lewis.  Yolen and Lewis have collaborated on funny books of epitaphs, most recently about prehistoric creatures. 

The authors challenged the TLD readers to write funny epitaphs and post them on the padlet.  You will find really and truly epitaph poems there, many really and truly funny.  But mine?

Oh dear.

Please notice that mine isn't really (at all in the slightest) an epitaph.  It started as an epitaph but then...I don't  know what happened.  Plus,  it takes back story for it to come close to funny and even then is not  LOL funny.  More SSAMH funny. 

"Sorta smile and maybe heh" funny.

Duh.

:)

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:A_broken_pencil.jpg

I Mourn Three Deaths
(or, Why My Homework Isn't Here)

You won't even believe my luck.  First it was my pencil:

Untimely, true--my pencil's death.
Thinking always makes me chew.
That homework-hard! I crunched and munched;
Bit it, gnawed it right in two.

So I got a pen, but then:

My dog--an age-old tired excuse--
True.  He didn't eat my work.
Oh no, it was far worse--it's end
Came with leg lift--what a jerk.

I mopped up and started again and finished it even.  You'd be proud.  But then, on the way to school, it's a nice morning so I had the window rolled down--the air was so refreshing after staying up so late to finish.  I was feeling good.  Tired but good.  So you know I:

Was sad to see it flap and fly
Out the window, there it flew.
You want it done again by when?!
Fine.  Except...this cold...ahCHOO!

© Rebekah Hoeft February 2018

Edit:
My poem for the padlet...
Funny? Debatable. An epitaph? I think so?


An Epitaph for My Epitaph

'Tis gone too soon; you'll never quote it.
 The truth, 'tis sad: I never wrote it.

© Rebekah Hoeft February 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment

#50PreciousWords 2023 with Vivian Kirkfield

Vivian Kirkfield is hosting her annual writing contest.  The challenge is to write a story for children in 50 words or less.  Head over to h...